General Family Practice With a Holistic Approach To Dental Care...

Is there tooth benefit from fluoride?

There is no recommended dietary intake for fluoride, in fact fluoride is a waste product and a reactive halide molecule. The theoretical benefits of fluoride according to the dental profession are topical. This means that having fluoride coating the surface of the tooth helps reduce the chance of developing cavities. If this is the case that the benefits are topical then why is fluoride added to the water because the topical dose it too low to benefit? Not only is the dose too low to benefit but by ingesting a low dose over years we are subjecting all the cells of our body to this toxin.


Fluoride is well known to damage DNA, protein and collagen. In fact one of the well known side effects of ingesting too much fluoride is called fluorosis which is a mottling of the teeth. The effects of this are considered cosmetic because the tooth can appear to have white chalkiness areas in the enamel in mild cases or brown pitted areas in more severe cases. What really is happening here is that the fluoride has altered tooth development in the jaw by altering or influencing the cells that grow the tooth. This means that the fluoride has charged the biochemistry and physiology of those cells. This is happening all over the body, except in the tooth scenario we can see the effects externally while with our internal organs we can not see the effects so blatantly.


The medical/dental approach to disease is that we label a condition and then try to find a pill to treat it. In our case the disease is dental decay or cavities and the pill/medicine is fluoride. One of the differences through is that medicine will prescribe an exact amount of the drug depending on the condition and will alter the dose as dictated by the response of the body. With fluoride the medicine is added to the water and whatever will be, will be. In the summer when it is hot you receive more medicine because you drink more when it is hot, in the winter less. The dosing is occurring half hazardly. Also the claimed benefit is only when the teeth are developing in the jaw which on average is up to age 12. This means that everyone over the age of 12 is ingesting a toxic substance which has no redeeming or beneficial properties, and has definitive and well documented toxic effects. The levels in the water use to be 1 part per million (PPM) and was reduce to 0.6 at some point in time because of the realization that people were receiving fluoride from too many sources.


The amount of fluoride in toothpaste is quite high at 1200 ppm. When toothpaste expressed on the toothbrush covers the whole length of the bristles it contains a toxic dose of fluoride to a child, and a whole tube of toothpaste can be fatal if ingested by a child. On the tube it states that only a pea sized amount of paste should be placed on the toothbrush. One of the concerns with children is that whatever amount of paste is placed on the brush, the whole amount will be swallowed. It is only after age 10 that they start to eliminate some of the paste while spitting and only by age 13-14 will most of it be spit out.


The truth of the matter is that the large majority of cavities are due to too much sugar, and that includes all natural sugars, and deficient cleaning of the teeth (brushing/flossing etc.). By taking greater responsibility for our diet and that of our children (although I know how difficult it can be) and being a little more conscientious of our home care we can decrease the number of cavities substantially.

Read 42916 times

Leave a comment